History of Saint Monica School
On Easter Sunday in 1897, the Augustinian Fathers from Saint Mary Church in Lawrence celebrated a Holy Mass of dedication in the original and newly built church on the corner of Broadway and Park Street in historic Methuen, Massachusetts. Named Saint Monica in honor of the mother of Saint Augustine, the church’s first Holy Mass culminated a nearly fifty-year struggle to establish a permanent place of worship for the local Irish Catholic community. The founding of Saint Monica is considered to have coincided with the ushering in of an era of religious and cultural tolerance that has been enjoyed in the community to this day. Originally a mission of Saint Mary’s in Lawrence, Saint Monica parish grew and was later moved to its present location on Lawrence Street.
Saint Monica School was established in 1958. The school was opened and staffed by the religious sisters of Notre Dame de Namur, Belgium, founded in 1804 by Saint Julie Billiart of France. The sisters of Notre Dame started coming on Sundays to teach religious education to the Saint Monica parish children. Shortly after, the sisters of Notre Dame became a constant and dedicated presence within the community. The religion sisters soon staffed the school to instruct the local children and their families building up the Catholic identity of the community.
Today, St. Monica School offers a strong, Catholic education from grades Pre - K through 8 for scholars throughout the Merrimack Valley and Southern New Hampshire.
Saint Monica School offers an excellent academic education through a traditional Catholic curriculum. It embraces eternal Gospel Truth and holds fast to the teaching of the Magisterium. The administrators and teachers at Saint Monica School work diligently to carry on the longstanding tradition established by those first educators. The paramount goal of our school remains to prepare students for the modern world through access to all of the technological resources available, utilizing best instructional practices, while at the same time building and promoting religious and moral formation that fosters leadership in both ecclesiastical and secular environments.